Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Turned...Away?!? Sexual Violence Awareness Exhibit



16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence

Upon entering the black silouetted door you are greeted with the words: "So, tell me... Is this turning you on?". Once inside, the exhibit begins with a quote from Audre Lourde and two photographs of couples dancing and kissing which serve as a contrast to the graphic depictions offered in the rest of the exhibit. According to Lourde's quote: "Sadomasochism is an insititutionalized celebration of dominant/subordinate relationships, and it prepares us either to accept subordination or to enforce dominance. Even in play, to affirm that the exertion of power over powerlessness is erotic, is empowering, is to set the emoitional and social stage for the continuation of that relationship, politically, socially and economically."
Accompanying the exhibit of photographs, are short descriptive paragraphs written in almost poetic prose which offer examples of various HUDs and animations available for performing very graphic and violent sexual acts. Panels show demonstrations via photos of animations for impaling, crucifixtion, castration and Dolcett play (which involves dismembering the subordinate and preparing the remains as if to eat them). According to the exhibit, there are more than 400 groups in Second Life which advertise some form of rape, snuff and Dolcett play.

The goal of the exhibit, to expose representations of gender violence in SL, is achieved. As part of the "16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence," an annual event which began in 1991, the exhibit also sheds a one sided view on a complex subject. I am in full support of the campaign slogan " say NO to abuse and YES to respect." However, I fear that the exhibit might cause visitors to lump a group of people in one category to which many will not belong.

I absolutely, positively and unequivocally do not support abuse of any kind. If it is not consensual between both parties, and if all activity between those individuals are not voluntary, informed, consensual, safe, and sane it is abuse. Many of the photographs and acts on display were trememdously disturbing to me. I can not fathom finding sexual pleasure or enjoyment from such violent acts, but as an active participant in the D/s lifestyle would I also be considered subjugated and abused? Although part of the logo for the 16 day event says "Women Unite!" my guess would be "yes," thus finding another opportunity to judge and seperate me from the general population.

I have not always been a "lifestyler" and had my own preconceived notions prior to having the opportunity to experience it for myself. Like any other thing in life, there are some things that I like that others find unattractive or beyond their limits and there are some things that I don't like that others enjoy very much. Submission was, is and has always been a choice for me. Submssion to me means trusting my Dom fully to care for my needs and in exchange for confidently assuming that responsibility, I care for His. How we care for each other's needs is really noone else's business and not open for judgement or debate. I don't feel its fair, or even appropriate to place a blanket label on anyone for how they choose to live their life. I do not support battery or abuse of anyone. In those cases, I try to see their humanity and offer support and/or protection if they will allow it. However, it is a submissive's responsibility to educate herself /himself (refusing to believe everything s/he hears or reads); and to trust reputable sources, while making up their own mind about what is the truth.

We are the only ones who can live our lives. We are the only ones who can make decisions about the course our lives take. We are the only ones who enjoy the benefits or suffer the consquences of those choices.

In deciding what is right or wrong about anything, remember humans are wrought with imperfection. Its the nature of our being. IF you BELIEVE someone IS being abused, the most loving and supportive thing you can do is to approach without judgement, open to understanding. Exclusion only furthers the abuse. United we stand... divided.... well, just more of the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment